I don't have any links, but in general we don't do very much as far as
tuning is concerned.

Here's a few things I can think of off the top of my head that we
sometimes do if we're worried about performance:

blockdev --setra 2048 /dev/sda (substitute an appropriate readahead
amount and device name - 'man blockdev')
mount the MySQL data partition with 'noatime'
consider playing with different schedulers ... the stock one works
fairly well, but some people prefer 'deadline'

Hmm... can't think of anything else right now. We spent more effort
tuning MySQL itself than the underlying system. Linux has lots of
knobs if you go looking, but (at least for us) you generally don't
need to mess with them. We run CentOS mostly, for the record...

Jake

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Shain Miley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for all the info....looks like we will put the 64 bit plan into
> place.
>
> Does anyone know of any good links to information on tuning Linux before a
> MySQL install?  I see that there are lot of MySQL tuning guides...but I
> assume there are things I can do to Linux that will help with performance as
> well...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shain
>

> Daniel P. Brown wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Shain Miley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello all,
>>> I was wondering if anyone had any good insight into running  the 32 bit
>>> and
>>>  64 bit versions of MySQL?  We are going to be using a replication setup
>>> within my organization very shortly.  We intend to a have at least one
>>> master (writable) DB and several (let's say 3 for this excersise )
>>> read-only