[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shain Miley) writes:

> I am looking into the idea of setting up 10 - 15 virtualized instances
> of MySQL.  The reason for this is as follows...we are going to be
> setting up a 3 to 4 node MySQL replication cluster (1 master-rw and 2
> slaves-ro)...each having 16 to 32 GB of RAM.
>
> In order for our development team to do their work...they must have
> access to some Mysql resources that are close to the production
> environment.  I am not currently in a position to provide each
> developer two MySQL servers (one master and one slave with 16 to 32 GB
> of RAM) for testing...or obvious reasons...mainly cost ;-)
>
> So I have been thinking about how best to provide such resources,  at
> this  point I am thinking that I can use OpenVZ to help me out a bit.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this issue...should I
> just run 10 instances of MySQL on the same server...are there other
> options?
>
> I am concerned with trying to ensure that the metrics, resources,
> workloads, etc from these development servers has some sort of
> relevance to our production environment...otherwise we are testing
> apples and oranges...which the dev team will clearly point out...and
> in a way I know we are...but I would like to minimize the effects....

My only concern would be that if you have busy mysql instances that
they will interfere with each other. We used to have a couple of busy
mysqld processes running on the same Linux server only to find that
the performance characteristics were worse than 1/2 of the performance
of having each instance on a separate server. Both mysqld instances
were busy and so fought each other for I/O and for CPU often at the
same time. If this might be an issue for your virtual servers may not
be an ideal solution as most of the free virtualisation options don't
control sufficiently the hardware resources distributed to each
virtual machine.

YMMV.

Simon