Jay,

that is interesting:

Jay Blanchard wrote:
> [snip]
> Virtualization includes overhead.
> It is fine as long as your application can tolerate that, but if your
> performance demands grow there will be a point where a DB server in a
> virtual machine will cause trouble but the same HW as a "real" machine
> would still suffice.
> [/snip]
>
> We run MySQL in virtualized environments processing millions of records
> a day (virtual servers interact with our SAN for storage) and have

If your hardware is powerful enough, that should be possible. No doubts.

> actually enjoyed performance increases. We are also able to take

"increases": Would you care to detail your comparison base?
If you got increases on the same hardware, that's really surprising, and
I am sure many readers would like to learn more about that.

> advantage of advanced disaster recovery/business continuity options
> available to us in this kind of environment.

Sure. I am convinced that virtualization gives you several management
options, including migration and backup, which separate real machines
don't offer so easily.

Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,