From: Bai Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: Updating from MySQL 4.0.12 to 5.0.67 Community
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com

But I didn't create any privileges in the old system.  That's where I'm
confused.

When I install 4, I just click Next, accepting all of the defualts.  Then I
run winmysqladmin.exe(I can't connect to the db until I do).  When I do this
I get the screen shown in the attached screeenshot.  Then I run mysql.exe
and I can create the new database.

When I install 5, I accepted all of the defaults except for setting a
security password for root(since I didn't do that with 4).  I don't have a
winmysqladmin.exe to run, and mysqladmin.exe just quits on me.  When I run
mysql.exe and attempt to create a new database exactly as I did in 4, it
gives me the error I mentioned in my original post.

So, AFAIK, I'm not setting any privileges.  I'm not sure how the admin user
in the gui plays into it as I don't provide any login info when I run
mysql.exe with 4 or 5.