Thanks for responding.

The CREATE TABLE docs for 5.1 say that DATA DIRECTORY and INDEX DIRECTORY
take absolute paths (not relative), and will in fact reject paths containing
the MySQL data dir.  Because I'm out of other ideas, I did try creating the
directories under the MySQL data dir and it doesn't change the error, so it
has nothing to do with MySQL secretly expecting relative paths.

I have created the directories by hand, and as I said in my original email,
I've tried chown'ing them to the MySQL user.  No change in outcome.

Cheers,
- Brad