Brad, what user are you running the mysql server as? Have you created a
mysql user and group (or another user and group) to run the server and
set a user= option in the cnf file?

Are you absolutely sure all necessary files and directories are owned
and readable/writable only by the mysql user? Setting files and
directories to 777 will not always solve the issue and is a bug security
risk, they must be owned and readable/writable only to the mysql user.

Are you able to create non-partitioned tables?

This kind  of problem crops up time and time again on the mysql forums
and its always filesystem permissions or people confuse mysql users with
os users or think because they log into mysql as 'root' they have root
privileges on the box.

Regards,

John

What