Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions.  Those of you who
suggested I look into SElinux were correct - my admin adjusted the policy
and rebooted the server, and my problem is solved.

I've never run across that issue before, but I'll know to look for it in the
future.  The list & the community were a big help in pointing me in the
right direction.

Cheers,
- Brad