John Daisley wrote:
Take a look at the online documentation, it will give you all the info you could dream of regarding error files, installation procedures and configuration issues.
I have been looking at this stuff until my eyes pop out - perhaps there is too much of it. It certainly is very confusing.

I have never installed MySQL on Freebsd so can't help you there but I have installed it on Redhat, Centos, Solaris, windows and Mac with the utmost ease and I really cannot see the FreeBSD install being anything different.

Sounds like you have a lot of other software issues too, maybe you should look at the problems of the system as a whole! If something refuses to install its usually a fault with the system / software configuration you are trying to install too and rarely a fault with the installation procedure itself.
As a matter of fact, I have set up this FreeBSD 7.0 box strictly for modifying and improving a couple of simple (??) websites. Everything was working perfectly util I tried to unistall MySQL6.0.8alpha and install v. 51 to be compatible with the ISP Website host.

From what I see, there is a problem in the documentation (or my inability to comprehend) of MySQL. I have been trying for 4 days without any success. And things get more complicated when there is a problem in other software like php5.2.8.

I just now reinstalled MySQL5.1.30; I ran mysql_install_db --user=mysql and that seemed to be ok; I then tried to start the server with bin/mysqld_safe -user=mysql and wow... wait... wait... wait.... how long am I supposed to wait ... the thing just hung up and I had to reboot... how am I supposed to start the thing - I have started it befor with mysql-server start from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
and even by rebooting...
that's it for today - tomorrow I'll try again.. absurdity seems to never end... :-(

*/John Daisley/*

Email: john.dais...@butterflysystems.co.uk
Mobile: 07812 451238

MySQL Certified Database Administrator <http://www.mysql.com/certification/candidates.php?exam=4>(CMDBA) MySQL Certified Developer <http://www.mysql.com/certification/candidates.php?exam=3> (CMDEV) MySQL Certified Associate <http://www.mysql.com/certification/candidates.php?exam=6> (CMA)
Comptia A+ Certified Professional IT Technician