This is the best response todate. !

John Daisley wrote:
I have read through your message again because I really could not believe you were having so many issues then it struck me...

Thank you for listening... :-)
You installed MySQL 6.0.8, an Alpha release on to what seems like a production box
Sorry to disappoint you, but I am an overzealous amateur with Unix in general. I think the thinking behind it all is fabulous; it's just that, I find, there is a kind-of smugness in the community about the systems and software: people assume that we "amateur-idiots" are supposed to know more than we do. I really do not like the idea of having to read through all the documentation of any program until I need to get into the details - most software, like Cups and Salmba are set up once and thereafter one need not even think about it; generally it works without problem. No, I have the setup strictly locally for my own pleasure and enlightenment and to help me with the creation and, sometimes, development of a website by more qualified people working for me... now, I'm just trying to help out my daughter to update her egyptology site (www.ptahhotep.com) with a database.
and now you are having trouble getting other versions to work? Well this isn't going to be very helpful but I guess you are learning the hard way why you never install alpha software onto anything other than a box which you rely on only to collect dust.
You're right... :-) - but it is helpful. I didn't realize that this was an alpha until I deinstalled... ok, ok, that's my fault...

Seems to me the box you are working on is pretty messed up with Apache, Php and MySQL all having problems. Restore a backup from before it got messed up so you know you have a working base then try again one piece of software at a time.
Other than the backup, which was not necessary, as this is a fresh install of FreeBSD7.0, I did exactly that: I deinstalled, deleted stray files and anything I could find related to MySQL, PHP5, phpMyAdmin, and even Webmin. I then updated the Ports files and started to reinstall everything. Well, I thought that would fix things... ehhh, no; not only did it not work, there was another wrench that was dropped by php5.2.8 - it is broken and phymyadmin cannot be installed and setup. Soooooo, as we say in French: "rebelotte!" - or in English "back to square 1". So, now I am just rying to set up MySQL - first try, to start the server was a system freeze because I went for a directive from the Documentation. To tell you the truth, I have never done backups on the FreeBSD installations - the reasoning is quite simple... if it fails, I have backed up the work files and anything of importance on other machines and reinstallaing the OS and programs is not a big deal - at least, it never has been; until now. I have had a couple of crashes but it has exclusively been due to HDDs failing. Even on the last failure I was able to salvage all important files without any great problems.

Other than that, as you are struggling with MySQL, PHP and Apache but are happy with commercial software offerings then go with what you are happy with. Get a copy of SQL Server and IIS. Everyone has there own preference and you have to go with what you are most comfortable and productive with. For me its Oracle10g/MySQL5 on Fedora, for you I'm sure its something totally different.

What you don't want to do is try something you are not comfortable with, mess it up and then go onto a user group blaming the software particularly when its such an established piece of software as MySQL which can proudly boast millions of working installs spread across probably every conceivable platform.
I couldn't agree more. For example, I have more problems with MS Office than you can imagine... OpenOfficeOrg is fabulous ... Only problem is the compatibility with MS files is the macros, but I don't often need them.
Thats my rant for the day, now as its gone 1am Im off to bed.

Sweet dreams, and have a nice holiday.
Phil Jourdan
John

*/John Daisley/*

Email: john.dais...@butterflysystems.co.uk
Mobile: 07812 451238

MySQL Certified Database Administrator <http://www.mysql.com/certification/candidates.php?exam=4>(CMDBA) MySQL Certified Developer <http://www.mysql.com/certification/candidates.php?exam=3> (CMDEV) MySQL Certified Associate <http://www.mysql.com/certification/candidates.php?exam=6> (CMA)
Comptia A+ Certified Professional IT Technician