There's a couple ways to go about this. The simplest thing (and what
we use in most of our simple monitoring cases) is a shell script that
checks the output of "show slave status\G" on the slave periodically.
If it reports that either thread isn't running, or there's something
in "Last error", or the time behind master is too long, it throws an
error and alerts us in our monitoring software. We do something
similar for non-replication checking... we parse the output of
"mysqladmin status".

Slightly more complicated (and also probably more accurate- the time
reported by show slave status is known to be unreliable in some cases)
would be a script that inserts a row into a table, then check the
slave over and over till it arrives. Or even better, insert 2
values... a timestamp that *you* provide (in a shell script, something
like $(date) would work) and a timestamp generated by MySQL....
assuming the times are syncronized on the master, slave, and the box
you're inserting from, when the insert hits the slave it'll generate
it's own timestamp, which you can then subtract *your* timestamp from.

There's also a tool in maatkit which does replication tracking,
although I've not yet used it. Judging by the other tools in that
package though, it's probably pretty decent :).

Jake