Gary,

I need to know a lot about your workload to say whether it will work
well on InnoDB with 4+ processors.  You can check
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/ for a lot of benchmarks in this
area.  But in general, my opinion is that for most workloads, 4 total
processors (cores included) is reasonable.  Not as good as it could
be, but reasonable.

The only real answer is to benchmark *your* workload and see what
happens.  And if you run into something that's a weak area, change it
-- there are workarounds for many of the trouble spots.

However, note that a single query will only ever run on a single core,
so if latency is your concern, you need fast, not many.

Baron

--
Baron Schwartz, Director of Consulting, Percona Inc.
Our Blog: http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/