Hi,

Never thought of the MS Access solution, but it sounds interesting and I am
intrigued. If the data volume is not that big, it could be a quick and dirty
way of doing it.

Sql Server 2005 and Sql Server 2008 Integration Service (SSIS) can do this,
but as far as usability is concerned, it is a step back from DTS (Data
Transformation Service from Sql Server 7 and Sql Server 2000 days). SSIS has
a fairly steep learning curve.

I am also for the CSV flat file approach. One could use Sql Server bcp
utility to dump tables out as tab delimited file, then import it into MySQL
with LOAD DATA INFILE.

Sample of bcp command:
bcp "MyDb.dbo.t1" out "c:\junk\t1.txt" -c -q -SMySqlServerInstance -T

Sample of LOAD DATA command:
load data local infile '/home/MyFolder/t1.txt' into table MyDb.t1 lines
terminated by 'r\n'

It looks like your first task is to restore this backup into a Sql Server
database. Sql Server Express management studio might have a GUI way of doing
this. If not, here is a sample script:

restore database MyDb from disk = 'c:\LocationOfMyDbBackup'
with recovery, replace, move 'MyDbLogicalDataFile' to
'c:\MyDirectory\MyDb.mdf',
move 'MyDbLogicalLogFile' to 'c:\MyDirectory\MyDb.ldf'

Regards,

Haidong "Alex" Ji
http://www.HaidongJi.com/tech