Are these databases identical or merely similar? If they are structurally
identical, I'd go for one database per customer. Then you have isolation,
easy structure updates and  above all, consistent front-end code, in
whatever language that occurs. Just obtain the customer ID and then use the
appropriate database. Everything else can remain the same.

The only fly in the ointment concerns whether you'd ever have the customer
need to cross databases. I would imagine that sort of thing is for internal
use, not the customers. In that case, the performance hit if any won't
impact upon the customer, just you.

hth,
Arthur