Everytime we make a schema change in development we save an SQL script into
a directory named in MMDDYYYY format. The scripts are named in
MMDDYYYY_NNN_DESCRIPTION.SQL format, where NNN is the sequence number. This
allows us to string the files together in the proper order to apply when an
update goes out. We simply look at the last update date, combine all the
scripts (either using cmd line utilties or an app we wrote to do it) and
apply this combined script to all the databases. The application to all
databases is currently handled by hand each time since we don't more than
once a week and there are not a lot of databases (15 to 20 right now).

I can see us needing an automated way to apply these scripts in the future
and it'll probably involve a custom application that makes use of a settings
file that has the connection string for each database. It'd simply loop
these connections and apply the scripts over a date range.

We don't have a need for being able to query multiple databases at a time.
Since some of these databases reside on different servers, I don't even
think we could do that -- unless we started using an engine that supports
this.

-jw