They'd all be identical DBs/schemas. And if we updated schema on one,
we'd update all. We're talking like 100-200 operators total (they are
airlines). They just have TONS of data each.

So one of my questions that I was hoping to hear answered (and maybe I
missed it) is this:

Are mySQL reports going to be faster in tables that are exclusive to a
single operator? In other words, if we have 100 operators data in a
single table (let's say millions of rows PER operator), are those
queries any slower (assuming proper indexes and an operator ID and all
that business). Or is the nature of B-Trees such that it shouldn't
matter either way? Logic would dictate that the RDBMS has to sift
through all the records that are NOT for a given operator (of which 99%
of the data would not be, correct?), so that seems like the hard drive
has to jump over gobs and blobs of INT/VARCHAR/TEXT/etc. that it doesn't
need. OR, again, is the filesystem/RDMBS/innodb file structured in such
a way that the index knows which inode to pop to instantly for each row,
so irrelevant rows are negligible hits to seek/read times?

And related, are there any limitations to the number of databases we can
use in a join for internal reports (or perhaps the length of a single
SQL statement). Obviously we would construct a query in PHP or Python or
something to assemble all the operator 1 ... 200 database names, so it's
not like we'd hand-craft that. But it could get a fairly lengthy
string/SQL/query to pass off to mySQL. For a simple example, perhaps we
want to know how many 'foo' there are in a given table per Operator, and
then a total of all 'foo'. (and yes this contrived example could be done
in a loop and tally, but you get the concept).