It will great if the MYSQL guys were to buy mysql from Oracle for half the
price that Sun paid.

Yeah, I'm sure Widenous is writing a check as we speak. <rofl> He is busy working on Maria, a stripped down branch of MySQL.
http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2008/01/maria-engine-is-released.html

They would come out making lots of money and back controlling their own
destiny.

Anyone can have control of the MySQL code because it is GPL. The only thing stopping them is time and $$$ to organize another company, maybe call it MySQL CD??

The "MySQL" name is not free though, it's owned by MySQL AB (or Sun
nowadays).

So even if a fork happens, it cannot take the mysql name, having to rename
tools/filenames in order to work. And after that, it has to "stick" with the
community public.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Download FREE Database Workbench Lite for MySQL!

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com