why not something like below.  Assume you have 3 pairs of start/end
timestamps and you want to find everything within those 3 time periods:

select * from table_name where start >= start1 and end <= end1
union
select * from table_name where start >= start2 and end <= end2
union
select * from table_name where start >= start3 and end <= end3

--
Jim Lyons
Web developer / Database administrator