On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM, PJ <af.gour...@videotron.ca> wrote:
> I have a seemingly impossible situation. I cannot insert values into the
> tables and I cannot alter or delete the primary key (which should not
> exist) or delete the foreign keys nor remove the constraint. G search
> doesn't help.
>
> CREATE TABLE `book_categories` (
>  `bookID` smallint(6) unsigned NOT NULL,
>  `categories_id` int(2) unsigned NOT NULL,
>  PRIMARY KEY (`bookID`,`categories_id`),
>  KEY `fk_book_categories_books` (`bookID`),
>  KEY `fk_book_categories_categories` (`categories_id`),
>  CONSTRAINT `book_categories_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`book_id`) REFERENCES
> `book` (`id`) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE
> ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1
>
> Anybody out there still up? I'm rather desperate to fix this this evening...
> Thanks in advance.

We will need a little more information.  The table looks sound but is
clearly designed to link  2 other tables.  If you are failing to
insert or update, it seems likely that it is because the data is
absent in the foreign tables.  Can you confirm?  Because without that
forgeign data, these rows are pretty meaningless.

What is it you are trying to do?

--
 - michael dykman
 - mdyk...@gmail.com

 - All models are wrong.  Some models are useful.