Michael Dykman wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM, PJ <af.gour...@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> I have a seemingly impossible situation. I cannot insert values into the
>> tables and I cannot alter or delete the primary key (which should not
>> exist) or delete the foreign keys nor remove the constraint. G search
>> doesn't help.
>>
>> CREATE TABLE `book_categories` (
>>  `bookID` smallint(6) unsigned NOT NULL,
>>  `categories_id` int(2) unsigned NOT NULL,
>>  PRIMARY KEY (`bookID`,`categories_id`),
>>  KEY `fk_book_categories_books` (`bookID`),
>>  KEY `fk_book_categories_categories` (`categories_id`),
>>  CONSTRAINT `book_categories_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`book_id`) REFERENCES
>> `book` (`id`) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE
>> ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1
>>
>> Anybody out there still up? I'm rather desperate to fix this this evening...
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> We will need a little more information.  The table looks sound but is
> clearly designed to link  2 other tables.  If you are failing to
> insert or update, it seems likely that it is because the data is
> absent in the foreign tables.  Can you confirm?  Because without that
> forgeign data, these rows are pretty meaningless.
>
> What is it you are trying to do?

I was trying to insert some records to fill up empty id numbers and in
the process noticed that there is a primary key in the tables but
unnecessary if I am not mistaken. Also the book_categories.categories_id
should be referencing categories.id -- I think I had somehow wet up the
table erroneously.
The problem was that one of the books was not entered as it should have
and I was assuming it had been entered (2 others were at the same time -
using phpMyAdmin instead of my insert page).
It now works with minimal bugs on the back-end, but the panic is over.
I'll try to fix the primary key issue next.
Thanks for the quick response.

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."