>I cannot insert values into the tables

What is the error message? Has the smallint key run out of values?

>and I cannot alter or delete the primary key (which should not exist)

Eh? Without a PK, it ain't a table.

>or delete the foreign keys nor remove the constraint. G search doesn't help.

If the pk referenced by the fk is full, I think you need to drop the fk, then drop the pk in the table referenced by the fk, then recreate that pk as an int, then recreate the fk.

PB

-----

PJ wrote:
I have a seemingly impossible situation. I cannot insert values into the
tables and I cannot alter or delete the primary key (which should not
exist) or delete the foreign keys nor remove the constraint. G search
doesn't help.

CREATE TABLE `book_categories` (
 `bookID` smallint(6) unsigned NOT NULL,
 `categories_id` int(2) unsigned NOT NULL,
 PRIMARY KEY (`bookID`,`categories_id`),
 KEY `fk_book_categories_books` (`bookID`),
 KEY `fk_book_categories_categories` (`categories_id`),
 CONSTRAINT `book_categories_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`book_id`) REFERENCES
`book` (`id`) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1

Anybody out there still up? I'm rather desperate to fix this this evening...
Thanks in advance.