thanks for reply,

i hava an index on the start_position,the min_postion and the max_postion is
constant value, the output of the query is:

explain select * from REF_SEQ where START_POSITION  between 30000 and
8030000;

+----+-------------+---------+-------+-----------------+-----------------+---------+------+-------+-------------+
| id | select_type | table   | type  | possible_keys   | key             |
key_len | ref  | rows  | Extra       |
+----+-------------+---------+-------+-----------------+-----------------+---------+------+-------+-------------+
|  1 | SIMPLE      | REF_SEQ | range | index_seq_start | index_seq_start |
5       | NULL | 90886 | Using where |

index_seq_start is the index on start_postion,

--
Tianjing

Bioinformatics Center,
Beijing Genomics Institute,Shenzhen