It looks like MySQL is using both columns in the key for that query, since
the key_len is 8, but for some reason it says it is still "using where".

What happens when you only select these fields: seq_id, ref_id,
start_position, end_position?

Does the query speed up? I had a table that had some TEXT columns defined
and I found when I selected every column excep the TEXT column the query ran
faster.

--
Johnny Withers