I see that index_ref_start is defined on Ref_Id and Start_Position. Mysql
only uses the left-most column of this index. Drop and re-add this key only
defined as

INDEX idx_ref_start(start_position)

and see if that helps.

Your explain you sent this time is not even using the index.

In your previous explain output, mysql said the key_len is 5. Since both
columns in this key are INT (4-bytes), it says it's only using the left-most
column, REF_ID. I'm not sure why it says 5 and not 4, maybe someone else can
explain this.

I'd redefine the index to only use the a single column, then define a new
index on REF_ID if you use that in JOINs.

--
Johnny Withers