On 29/01/2010 15:20, Jerry Schwartz wrote:

That's brilliant. The only minor issue is that, at least for UK data, it
won't validate for mapping purposes - the postcodes are syntactically
correct, but non-existent. I don't know if it would have the same
problem for US or Canadian data.

[JS] Sorry, my suggestion won't work either: I didn't notice that you are from
the UK.

Well, the name part will work; and perhaps the UK has databases similar to
what the USPS (US Postal Service) makes available. I'd think they would, since
they are accountable to the public.

You might think so; you'd be wrong! In the UK, postcode data - even a comprehensive list of allocated postcodes - is the copyright of Royal Mail and only available under license.

(Off-topic, but relevant to UK-based developers: please take a look at my blog at http://mark.goodge.co.uk/musings/422/locate-that-postcode/ for a topical twist on this)

Mark