as a relatively unsophisticated dbms user (just dynamic web site back end), i thought it was very interesting to see the kinds of things oracle users do
that i'd never have imagined.

more than 61 joins in a query?! man, those guys are hardcore.

Hardcore stupid if you ask me. I suppose it is "possible" to have a valid reason (can't imagine what it might be) for using more than 61 joins. But I would be willing to bet that 99.99% of the time if you get even close to that many joins you have a very poorly designed database. I would also bet that 80% of the people who are actually writing queries with that many joins don't have a solid grasp of the fundamental principles of relational database design.

Why not? Normalizing gets you -more- tables, not less.

That being said, try joining several complex views and you'll get more
joins...

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions