I once was selling a system to an organization. I recommended an IBM AIX box for about $30,000. A competitor was charging $30,000 for the software and said it had to run on an AS/400 that would cost in excess of $200,000. I lost the sale because the IBM salesman said, quite candidly, 'I make more commission on the AS/400 so that's the one I am selling.'

Oracle is very similar. They are managed to make money. I suspect we will see licensing fees and required support contracts because they can now charge them. And, an Oracle consultant to write a join with 100-200 joins? Oracle will sell it if they can convince the customer.

Just some thoughts.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Worster" <f...@thefsb.org>
To: "mos" <mo...@fastmail.fm>; <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQL

On 1/29/10 5:03 PM, "mos" <mo...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

I noticed the article didn't say how much money you'll save by not paying
through the nose for Oracle per server licensing, the cost of upgrading
your hardware to get some speed out of Oracle, or the cost of having to
hire one or more Oracle administrators to manage and tweak the database.

how much does an oracle programmer who can maintain your queries with more
than 61 joins cost, in, say, usd/hr?