Martijn Tonies wrote:
database. I would also bet that 80% of the people who are actually writing queries with that many joins don't have a solid grasp of the fundamental principles of relational database design.

Why not? Normalizing gets you -more- tables, not less.

And normalizing is a goal in itself? I've seen plenty of "normalized" databases which have become a big mess because of the unnecessarily complex queries you needed to do a relatively simple job.

A lot of the "enterprise level" features can be useful in certain cases, but it seems that a lot of times they are just used simply to use them. I cannot find justification for making databases unnecessarily complex, using subqueries when a simple join is all you need, using views, functions, stored procedures in cases that don't require such features, etc.

I agree that a lot of people requiring more powerful hard- and software for their application are simply forgetting that they were supposed to produce a working application and not the most normalized database with all the fancy views and other stuff.

--
Jigal van Hemert.