I'm going to be setting up a MySQL database for a project.  My reading
indicates that MyISAM (default) is going to be better than InnoDB for
the project but I want to be sure I have the trade-offs right.

This is going to be a very large data file -- many gigabytes -- only
used internally, and once installed perhaps updated once a year,
queried much more often.

MyISAM apparently has the advantage in memory and time overheads.

InnoDB's advantage seems to be better recovery from disk crashes.

Should I stick with MyISAM (MySQL default), or does the recovery issue
mean I'm better off using InnoDB for an insurance policy?

Inexperienced minds want to know -- ideally, from experienced minds.

Thanks!