Also depends on your data access pattern as well.
If you can take advantage of clustering my primary key for your
selects, then InnoDB could do it for you.
My suggestion would be to write some queries based on projected
workload, build 2 tables with lots and lots of data, and do some
isolated testing. For work, I do a lot of query profiling using
maatkit. Be sure to clear out as much of the caching as possible
including the OS cache.
BTW, I've never had much luck storing large docs in MySQL. If you can
compromise on data integrity, consider filesystem storage.
Kyong