At 09:10 PM 4/7/2010, you wrote:
Also depends on your data access pattern as well.
If you can take advantage of clustering my primary key for your
selects, then InnoDB could do it for you.
My suggestion would be to write some queries based on projected
workload, build 2 tables with lots and lots of data, and do some
isolated testing. For work, I do a lot of query profiling using
maatkit. Be sure to clear out as much of the caching as possible
including the OS cache.

In a related topic, does anyone know how well InnoDb is going to perform if you have a 250 million row table (100gb) and only 8gb of RAM? It was my understanding that InnoDb needed to fit as much of the table into memory as it could for it to be fast. Also, how long is it going to take to load 250 million rows (using Load Data InFile) compared to a MyISAM table? I've always found InnoDb to be incredibly slow at loading large amounts of data and nothing I could think of would speed things up. I too would like to switch to InnoDb but until I can solve these problem I'm sticking with MyISAM for large tables.

Mike