Tim Gustafson wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is already an open issue or not - a Google search resulted
in various discussions but I didn't find any open support/feature request.

It would be really handy if during the "create database" statement, one could
specify something like:

CREATE DATABASE foo QUOTA=10G;

to limit the entire database being created to no more than 10GB (in this
example).

I've found various other schemes about using ZFS and other disk partitioning
systems to just limit available space in the mySQL database folders, but I've
read commentary about how that can corrupt the database if the disk becomes
full.

So, is this a feature that seems useful to other people?  It would certainly be
useful to me.

Thanks for a great product!

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
t...@soe.ucsc.edu
831-459-5354

We encourage you to add your comments to the existing feature request:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=21038

Also, you can configure the common InnoDB tablespace to have a fixed maximum size. But that is not for a single table or database but for the total of all data stored within InnoDB.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/innodb-init.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/adding-and-removing.html

While it is similar in concept to what you proposed, it fails to meet your needs by being global rather than specific.

--
Shawn Green
MySQL Principle Technical Support Engineer