> First, generally speaking, putting a quota on an entire database means
> you are probably doing it wrong. In a perfect world, it seems to be
> that building a database which can maintain a size without constant
> mothering would be best, this doesn't always happen for one reason
> or another, but of all the ways to maintain a constant database size,
> quotas are one of the worst.

We have a shared mySQL server that is used by web sites, research projects,
admin staff and graduate students.  None of those types of people are sensitive
to database storage restrictions, and what we're trying to accomplish is to
prevent any one of those users from going out of control (either by accident,
due to a bug, or on purpose) and clobbering the entire mySQL server.  Better to
have one "dead" database than a whole server.

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
t...@soe.ucsc.edu