Make sure the port is open from the db server.  you can test it using "telnet
server 3306(if that's what you use)".  If not, have your network admin open the
port for you.

-----Original Message-----
From: listan...@gmail.com [mailto:listan...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 3:37 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Connecting Remotely to MySQL Server

Hello all,

New to MySQL and still exploring. I have MySQL installed on one of the boxes
on the intranet (on which I am not the root) and am trying to connect to it
remotely via a box (that can be see from the "external world").
Unfortunately it does not seem to be working. Here's what I did from the
shell:

my sql -h <IP_OF_INTRANET_BOX> -u andy -p

After I do this, it asks for my password, and after I enter it, it just sits
there doing nothing. I am however able to login using my credentials from
the intranet box directly. However when from the intranet box, I try to
login using the exact command above, it's exactly the same situation - it
just sits there after I enter the password.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Andy