Nunzio, all,

Nunzio Daveri schrieb:
> Thanks Claudio but I do that all the time.  The question is where is the
> file?
> You said to go to the download area, there are hundreads of files and not one
> tar file says rhel or cent os.

"tar.gz" packages are not specific to the Linux distribution, they are
generic. Their sole dependency is on the glibc version, and that is 2.3
(or up) with all reasonably current Linuxes (kernel 2.4 and up).

(With RPMs, it is different: They contain requirement specifications
which list package and version, and so there are specific ones for
current RHEL and SLES versions.)

> What is the URL / file name to download and untar please?

It depends on your CPU:
Go to "http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.1.html";,
scroll down to the bottom of the list,
you will find 5 "generic" tar.gz packages:
x86, x86-icc, x86_64, x86_64-icc, ia64.

Those which do not bear "icc" in the name were built using gcc, and if
you are not specifically preferring binearies created by ICC you should
take a gcc-built one.

Pick the one that matches your CPU.

HTH,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  joerg.bru...@sun.com
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG,   Komturstrasse 18a,   D-12099 Berlin