Nunzio Daveri,
Joerg Bruehe gave you a lot of good tips to try and speed things up. A few hundred queries per second seem to be a relatively small number to cause the server to crawl. I don't have the rest of your thread, but can you publish some of the slow queries (see Slow Query Log) and the table structure?

Mike