From: Bug Database [mailto:do-not-re...@mysql.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:43 PM
To: dae...@daevid.com
Subject: #42774 [Com]: mysqldump command line switch to ignore temporary
tables

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at
http://bugs.mysql.com/?id=42774&edit=2

 Comment by:           Bugs System
 Reported by:          Daevid Vincent
 Category:             Client
 Severity:             S4 (Feature request)
 Version:              5.0.51a
 OS:                   Linux
 OS Details:           Ubuntu
 Tags:                 IGNORE, temporary, mysqldump
 Defect Class:         D5 (Feature request)

[12 Feb 2009 12:53] Susanne Ebrecht

Many thanks for writing a bug report.

Changed category because mysqldump is CLI.

Verified as described.

The problem is related to general indexing.

[11 Feb 2009 21:05] Daevid Vincent

We have a live database with tables that are over 500M rows. We cannot
take the server down to do a backup, or in this case to delete
temporary tables. However we use temporary tables constantly to take
offloads (in SQL format, create a temp database/tables, then normalize
and re-insert that offload data into our main database). This happens
every minute or so and is increasing as we expand.

We would like a way to ignore temp tables from mysqldump's command
line.

/*!40000 ALTER TABLE `offload_temp_1d071827a37c402d8294d4ee65d86e4d`
DISABLE KEYS */;
/*!40000 ALTER TABLE `offload_temp_1d071827a37c402d8294d4ee65d86e4d`
ENABLE KEYS */;
/*!40000 ALTER TABLE `offload_temp_55cd7b89c3def439a9727821717428ec`
DISABLE KEYS */;
/*!40000 ALTER TABLE `offload_temp_55cd7b89c3def439a9727821717428ec`
ENABLE KEYS */;

So as you can see, we end up with HUGE amounts of temporary tables
being backed up and then on occasion re-imported. Then we don't know
which temp tables are stale vs. active (the active ones do remove
themselves, but our naming convention doesn't have dates)

How to repeat:
mysqldump --opts to dump out our entire database.

Suggested fix:
mysqldump --ignore-temp-tables