Try using the failed hdd as a slave in a Linux machine. You might find that the
hdd won't boot to OS but may have enough in it to access the file system.

----- Reply message -----
From: "ext Uwe Brauer" <o...@mat.ucm.es>
Date: Thu, Sep 9, 2010 21:31
Subject: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?
To: "mysql@lists.mysql.com" <mysql@lists.mysql.com>

Hello

This is a real nightmare. A Mac crashed, the hard disk could
be saved. Right now it can't be booted.

But I don't know precisely the version of the OS
(most likely Mac X 10.4), nor the version of mysql (most
likely 5.3.x) and to make things worse I did not generate a
dump.

So is there any change to recover the db?
Could I just try to copy the relevant directory which
contains the db say to a linux machine and hope for the
best?

Any advice is strongly appreciated since a wiki is in that
db.

regards

Uwe Brauer