And still, nobody answered the man's actual question: can a Linux mysqld
read mac datafiles ?

I'd say "make a copy and try it". As long as you always keep a copy of the
original files, you're not risking anything. You might run into things
varying from incompatible MySQL versions to different endianness on your
files - I don't know. Try and you'll see.

Worst case scenario, get an identical mac with an identical mysql and copy
the files to that.