To Clarify this a bit: You can only reliably do writes to one server.
Your reads can go to both servers with no problems.
For reads that need to read data that was just written though, you
need to read from the 'active' master, as you can not rely on
replication to be instantaneous.

--
Walter Heck
Founder @ OlinData (http://olindata.com)