I do hope you're not suggesting your database servers are publicly
accessible.

Mine are behind the firewall, completely blocked off from anything but the
application servers; and in most cases even behind a second firewall that
shields the backend network from the DMZ.

While any vulnerability is a bad thing, you'll first need to gain access to
the application servers before you can hope to get to the database servers.

Of course, if you get on the application servers, finding the passwords is
trivial; but in some cases, there's still a layer of presentation (web)
servers in front of the actual application servers. At that level, there's
mod_security, suhosin, maybe level-7 filtering on the firewall, et cetera.

Security, like ogres, is like onions: it has layers.