The biggest issue for me is that you want your development environment to be
as identical as possible to the production environment (to avoid mistakes when
you move your application over). You don't want your production environment to
accidentally access your development data; but at the same time you want to
make sure that your development isn't accidentally playing with the "live"
data.

Since I'm running a *AMP application, I can just use "localhost" and not worry
about forgetting to change the database name references.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Global Information Incorporated
195 Farmington Ave.