You might want to look into replication
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/replication.html). You can set up a
replication slave to follow the master DB in real time, or offset by minutes,
hours, days, or weeks, or whatever. That way you have a copy already served up
waiting in the wings, very accessible. It's best to have at least one slave
that is offset by at least a day IMHO because the problem could be human error
and this will be faithfully replicated to the slave. MySQL replication works
very well. Doing a dump is useful in some situations but we are more and more
looking to more convenient ways, as storage and hardware is pretty cheap but
time in a critical failure is not cheap.

Jim McNeely