Might it not be easier to use something like "show create procedure" instead?
Given that the purpose is debugging, I would assume you want the exact text
used to create the procedure, not the one with version-specifics removed.

You can still pump that into a file by using "mysql -e 'show create procedure
procname\G' dbname > outputfile.sql". There will still be a bit of superfluous
information as this is an information request, but that should be easily
removed with some sed hacking.