----- Original Message -----
> From: "Gavin Towey" <gto...@ffn.com>
>
> The server will disconnect idle connections after a while.  The
> wait_timeout variable controls how many seconds it will wait.  You
> can set it for your connection when you connect by issuing a query
> like:
>
> SET SESSION wait_timeout=NNN;
>
> Just give it a large enough value.

That will, of course, work; but it has as side effect that improperly
terminated connections (application crash, ...) will stay around for that time,
too.

It is better to have your connection (-pooling) code be aware of connection
timeouts, and have it transparantly reconnect. If I recall correctly, the
client library has a ping() function or something similar.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn