thanks for the response - but do not believe queries are the issue
because - Like I said - i have other websites doing the same exact
queries as I am doing on the site with the 9gig table.
-- my issue is optimizing mysql to handle lots of queries on a 9gig
db. --- i think that is the focus.
All other websites (10 websites) are being handled fine in terms of
performance - with same queries -- just that table is about 100meg.
I have run optimize on it and recover and prune,etc....no luck.
thanks
mjh

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Johnny Withers <joh...@pixelated.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>> tmpdir          = /tmp
>>> language        = /usr/share/mysql/english
>>> skip-external-locking
>>> #
>>> # Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
>>> # localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
>>> bind-address            = 127.0.0.1
>>> #
>>> # * Fine Tuning
>>> #
>>> key_buffer              = 2G
>>> key_buffer_size         = 2G
>>> max_allowed_packet      = 16M
>>> thread_stack            = 192K
>>> thread_cache_size       = 8
>>> join_buffer_size                = 128
>>> # This replaces the startup script and checks MyISAM tables if needed
>>> # the first time they are touched
>>> myisam-recover         = BACKUP
>>> max_connections        = 100
>>> table_cache            = 1024
>>> max_heap_table_size             = 32M
>>> tmp_table_size                  = 32M
>>> thread_concurrency     = 10
>>> #
>>> # * Query Cache Configuration
>>> #
>>> query_cache_limit       = 2M
>>> query_cache_size        = 16M
>>> #
>>> # * Logging and Replication
>>> #
>>> # Both location gets rotated by the cronjob.
>>> # Be aware that this log type is a performance killer.
>>> # As of 5.1 you can enable the log at runtime!
>>> general_log_file        = /var/log/mysql/mysql.log
>>> general_log             = 2
>>> #
>>> # Error logging goes to syslog due to
>>> /etc/mysql/conf.d/mysqld_safe_syslog.cnf.
>>> #
>>> # Here you can see queries with especially long duration
>>> #log_slow_queries       = /var/log/mysql/mysql-slow.log
>>> #long_query_time = 2
>>> #log-queries-not-using-indexes
>>> #
>>> # The following can be used as easy to replay backup logs or for
>>> replication.
>>> # note: if you are setting up a replication slave, see README.Debian about
>>> #       other settings you may need to change.
>>> #server-id              = 1
>>> #log_bin                        = /var/log/mysql/mysql-bin.log
>>> expire_logs_days        = 10
>>> max_binlog_size         = 100M
>>> #binlog_do_db           = include_database_name
>>> #binlog_ignore_db       = include_database_name
>>> #
>>> # * InnoDB
>>> #
>>> # InnoDB is enabled by default with a 10MB datafile in /var/lib/mysql/.
>>> # Read the manual for more InnoDB related options. There are many!
>>> #
>>> # * Security Features
>>> #
>>> # Read the manual, too, if you want chroot!
>>> # chroot = /var/lib/mysql/
>>> #
>>> # For generating SSL certificates I recommend the OpenSSL GUI "tinyca".

>>> quick