We are running MySQL 5.0.77, and using INNODB in production for the first time.
 The production database has a lot of inserts and deletes, and the shared
"ibdata1" file is continually growing.  I understand that to return the unused
space to the operating system, we must delete and recreate "ibdata1" and its
associated ".frm" files.  I am wondering if we could do the following instead:

1)      Let "ibdata1" grow for a while.
2)      Rebuild the tables periodically using this syntax:   ALTER TABLE t1
ENGINE = InnoDB;

I realize that this would not return the unused space to the operating system.
But would it return it to MySQL so that it could be re-used for subsequent
inserts, instead of extending "ibdata1" further?

Kay Rozeboom
Information Technology Enterprise
Iowa Department of Administrative Services
Telephone: 515.281.6139   Fax: 515.281.6137
Email:  kay.rozeb...@iowa.gov