Johan, I think you are right about this.  The problem does not appear to be
with the database at all, but with the undo log.  Thanks for pointing me in the
right direction.

-----Original Message-----
From: Johan De Meersman [mailto:vegiv...@tuxera.be]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:01 AM
To: Rozeboom, Kay [DAS]
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Reusing "ibdata1" space

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kay Rozeboom [DAS]" <kay.rozeb...@iowa.gov>
>
> I realize that this would not return the unused space to the operating
> system.  But would it return it to MySQL so that it could be re-used
> for subsequent inserts, instead of extending "ibdata1"
> further?

That should normally already happen. An occasional optimize table might help
defragment the tablespace, but space from properly deleted records should be
reused anyway (save for really small fragments).

I recommend you keep track of the innodb free tablespace for a while, and see
how that evolves - it should go relatively low before the tablespace expands on
disk.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn