I have a set of tables that get populated and changed a lot from lots of
REPLACE statements. Now, I need an ON UPDATE trigger, but of course the trigger
never gets triggered because REPLACES are all deletes and inserts.

The trigger is going to populate another table as a queue for a system to do
something whenever a particular field changes.

SO, does anyone have some slick idea how to handle this little problem? I have
an idea but I have a feeling there is something better out there.
<<<<<<<<
Exactly what do you mean? You want the DELETE-trigger to talk to the
INSERT-trigger for to learn whether the field changed? Try user-defined
variable.

I do not like that, but the only other that comes to mind is no better, a tiny
table that exists only for the DELETE-trigger to save the field value, and the
INSERT-trigger to look at it.

Here is a trigger that inserts into a table PaimentLog after there is inserting
into a table GiftAndShare:

CREATE TRIGGER newGiftAft AFTER INSERT ON GiftAndShare FOR EACH ROW BEGIN
        INSERT INTO PaimentLog
        SELECT NEW.MemberID, Surname, GivenName, NEW.Why, NEW.Amount, NEW.Date,
NEW.Method, NEW.byWhom
        FROM Nam WHERE MemberID = NEW.MemberID AND Rank = 0;
END