In the MySQL documentation, we find this tantalizing statement:

"It is possible that in the case of a duplicate-key error, a storage engine may
perform the REPLACE as an update rather than a delete plus insert, but the
semantics are the same. There are no user-visible effects other than a possible
difference in how the storage engine increments Handler_xxx status variables."

Does anyone know what engine this is? I can't seem to find any info via google.
If I could live with the choice of engine, I could make this work with no extra
programming at all.

Thanks,

Jim McNeely