Good to know and good that you took time to read the manual, good approach.

But why bother with REPLACE if you will go with INSERT.....ON DUPLICATE KEY
UPDATE?

The storage engine is a property of your table and you can set it and/or
change it, it is the low-level layer (physical) of the database that takes
care on how data is actually stored and retrieved.

You can check your table with:

SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'your-table-name';

Manual page: http://kae.li/iiiga

Cheers

Claudio